Sunday, September 10, 2006

Getting up early on a Saturday fucking kills your whole day

Silvana had her baby Friday night. Her text message woke me up twice: once at 12:45am and once at 6:45am - I guess it was a resend. I can't hold anything against a woman who just gave birth, though. After what seemed like an interminably long morning session at the ADA building, some of us walked over to NMH to see her. She looked tired, but otherwise very good. She was upbeat and talkative. Gabriella wasn't there; apparently there was some meconium present so she was on observation. But Alex showed us a picture - Silvana says she's definitely her baby since she's got so much hair. Carrie asked me how the hell I knew what meconium was, and I said I'm a big nerd. Later she asked if I learned it during my hospital residency, but no, I just recently learned that tidbit of information.

(For those of you who are wondering, meconium is what is released when the fetus defecates prior to birth. It pretty much consists of bile and amniotic fluid, and is yellow or greenish. The concern is that it can get into the airway before the first breath and cause lung damage immediately post-partum.)

I came home and pretty much crashed. I slept a few hours yesterday afternoon. Getting up early on a Saturday fucking kills your whole day. I spent a good deal of what was left copying my MySpace blog over to Blogspot.

I had dinner with my parents last night. Good food, and the conversation was pretty decent. My dad is growing a mustache, and it doesn't look good. I wonder how long this will last. I told him he needs to trim it a l ittle better, at least.

WNUR went well. I found a shitload of unopened mail in the downstairs archives, including some CDs that I went ahead and played. So I guess that was good.

I actually cleaned up a little this morning; Trish was planning on coming over this afternoon. Boy, does my life sound boring. At least I'm feeling better. Now I'm just waiting for my sinuses (sini?) to finish draining.

No comments: