Thursday, November 23, 2006

Feast and pretend the myth has nothing to do with our celebration

The Broadways song lyrics I posted earlier is my traditional Thanksgiving song. It doesn't hurt that the song kicks ass on its own, either.

Tonight was the first Thanksgiving in seven years that my parents had in Illinois (and the first in four years I've spent with them) and there were 26 people at dinner - 27 counting the baby. And fuck was there a lot of food, and fuck did it get eaten (and drunk).

The few of us who spoke no Farsi ended up sitting at one table, which was dubbed the "Anti-Farsi League." And there was some good conversation. I can always rely on my family's Persian friends for insightful political and economic discussion. Hell, last night I was waiting for my parents at Mirani's and within 30 seconds Kaveh and I had started arguing about the feasibility of a U.S. military strike on Iran. Granted, he brought it up because of the No War button on my jacket, but still...

To round out your Thanksgiving, read this article from last year. When I have the means, perhaps I'll head out to Mass. each year rather than feast and pretend the myth has nothing to do with our celebration.

UPDATE: A little more to waste your time to.

No comments: