Tuesday, September 26, 2006

March of the Evolutionary Loopholes

My undergrad major was environmental science. At Northwestern, this meant I took classes in many departments: biology, chemistry, civil engineering, economics, political science, geology, etc. Not planning on using my undergrad degree for anything approaching a career, I thought it a great major, since I gained informational background in many areas - a true liberal arts education.

What reminded me of this tonight, though, is the concept of charismatic megafauna, a term I've remembered from the environmental politics course I took once upon a time. It's a reference to animals that have popular appeal and so can form the basis of conservation campaigns and fundraising drives.

In other words, How cute!

Those are the words I heard over and over from my girl friends upon the release of March of the Penguins. I never saw it; I didn't have much interest in a movie about penguin reproduction, especially not with the relentless female chorus of So cute! surrounding any mention of the movie.

Last Friday, though, I was at John's place prior to heading out to the Point to try and light a soaking wet wind-bedeviled birthday bonfire. I was looking through his and Rebecca's DVDs and borrowed a bunch, including March of the Penguins. Tonight I had some time free, and it was the shortest movie available (meaning I could finish it) and so I had some ice cream and watched it. It was nice, it was interesting, and I found Morgan Freeman's narration at times enlightening, and at times way too anthopomorphic, but one thing stands out in my mind.

They really aren't that cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I disagree with your assessment of the penguins' cuteness, what irritated me about this film was something totally different: the way the fucking Christian right decided that because the penguins are so cute, and because both males and females care for the babies, therefore God intends men and women to get married and have children and blah blah heterosexual morality shit. For fuck sake, they're just penguins.