Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I've got $500 and 5 bullets in my gun, and if I have to I'll unload every one.

In lamb chop news, I'm a fanfuckingtastic cook. And it's so fucking easy. Seriously: lamb chops, honey, salt, pepper, parsley, onion, red wine. Cover and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Plus little lambs taste much better than cows.

I saw today that the Lawrence Arms are playing in DeKalb Sunday night. I'm there. They have no Chicago shows listed despite having a tour booked for the fall. I'm pretty confident they'll have one, but the crowd outside the city will be different, I'm sure.

This keeping-my-apartment-clean thing takes some time each day, but I'm happy to be doing it.

I've been toying with the idea of getting some people together and making a zine. No real focus to it, just a random collection of whatever. I think it'd be cool. I'm sure it's been done before, but that's the beauty of putting in whatever crosses; it's so subjective, originality isn't important.

Matt can't get over the fact that I sometimes wear black nail polish. Note that I was *not* wearing it today, and he hasn't seen me in it for months. He insists I do it to be weird, not because of any esthetic desire. Now, I agree that it's different. But I also believe our esthetic sense is influenced by what we're exposed to, which is just how our brains are hardwired genetically. And I've been exposed to subcultures where nail polish on men isn't abnormal. Yes, I suppose it does send a message, but I don't know what that is beyond the fact that I'm violating cultural mores. Look! A traditionally female trait displayed by a male! My brain cannot process such conflicting symbology! Maybe making the monkey brains work a little harder to think in reality rather than symbols is worth it. I dunno. I still think it looks cool, not for it's sociocultural implications. I like the contrast with my hands when it's on there.

Now, I don't wear it when seeing patients, and there's a reason. I think it's in the patient's best interest for me to establish a rapport with them, which includes presenting a professional appearance, or an appearance that fits in with the general cultural perception of "health care professional." And I'm sure as that cultural perception shifts, my "professional" appearance will as well.

Yes, I had to morally justify not dressing the sloppy-ass way I usually prefer to for work. But that's better than doing it because those are the expectations we have of you!

I do have a contrarian streak to me though. Fuck, when I was putting Lego sets together I had an urge to not follow the directions, even. Which is either cool that I think that way, or sad that it's such a reaction.

There was something I wrote last fall about the politics of punk which I may repost here. I've gotten good feedback on it. I dunno. We'll see.

In the meanwhile, this is for Ryan. Humanity at Guantanamo by Peter Kane Dufault.

General Craddock suggested that the medical staff had indulged the hunger strikers to the point that they had been allowed to choose the color of their feeding tubes.
-New York Times,
February 22, 2006.

We couldn't let them die.
That would be inhumane
(besides leaving us shy
of persons to detain).

Also it's bad PR
(should it come out by chance)
that, treated as they are,
death is deliverance.

And they know that! And so
it's nothing but pure spite
to make-believe Gitmo
is Hell-In-Broad-Daylight!

"Hell"? Hey - each gets to choose
(once hog-tied heel to head)
what color hose we'll use
(before they all turn red)...

No comments: